Sunday, June 16, 2013

We (Karrie) get crafty.

I wouldn't call myself Martha Stewart by any means, but I do enjoy breaking out the craft supplies every now and again.  I especially enjoy learning new crafty things under the supervision of a trained professional.  Then there is less of a chance I'll get frustrated and give up.

Craft #1:  Learn to sew. 
LeeAnn, Andrea and I purchased a beginners sewing class at the local Fabric Store and 2 hours later we each had a cute new tote bag.  I was hoping they'd teach the basics of a sewing machine as I can never re-thread the needle or fill a bobbin, but instead we just followed the pattern for the bag.  I can now sew a French seam though!



Craft #2: Decorate cakes.
LeeAnn and I took a cake decorating class and learned how to level a cake, frost a crumb layer and add embellishments using various tips.  We made this cake for Mother's Day, vanilla with a raspberry and cream cheese filling and decorated it with rosettes using a big star tip.  (I can't remember the official name)

Craft #3: Painting. 
We have two very plain pantry doors that were begging to be transformed.  I had dabbled with chalkboard paint before and since it's cheap and easy to un-do I went to town.  It turned out just like I wanted, except when I pulled off the tape and most of the white paint around the edge came off.  Touching that up will have to be my next project.  The board doubles as a grocery list and weekly calendar.  Ta-dah!

3 comments:

  1. so fun! everything turned out great! I will make you a deal....I will teach you how to thread a machine and bobbin if you will teach me how to do those flowers on a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm inspired - I want to be more crafty... :)

    ReplyDelete