Tuesday, September 10, 2013

We went on a tour of Theo Chocolate

Our friends suggested doing a chocolate tour one weekend and my mother raised me to never say no to chocolate, so I didn't hesitate to accept the invitation. 

For as much as I love chocolate I hadn't heard of or had Theo chocolate.  Gasp!  That was about to change since the factory is in Fremont and they offer public tours.
















 


We put on the appropriate attire and embarked on a 1-hr tour of the facility.  When our tour guide asked the group how Theo got its name, David found a way to work in his Bill Cosby impersonation, responding, "Isn't it named after Theo Cosby from the Cosby show? 'Rudy, Theo, Jello Puddin Pops'." Many people wept that day due to the beauty and accuracy of David's Bill Cosby impersonation. Perhaps it is best we didn't record a sound byte. World peace would have broken out, Satan would be bound, and now is not the correct timing for that. Fortunately for those in David's presence at the time, the performance was mostly forgettable, but for that moment, everything was right with the world.  (Thanks for re-capping David!)

As our tour guide continued teaching us about where the cocoa beans came from, we got to taste several different types of chocolate with different cacao levels.  After thorough taste-testing, I determined that I like a 45% cacao ratio (a Hershey Bar has an 11% ratio).






















"Hair net" head




















 
They had samples of every flavor bar in their store!  After trying them all to make sure I made an informed decision before purchasing something, I ultimately decided that the Salted Almond bar and a chocolate covered caramel with gray sea salt. Deliciousssssss.

David noticed another woman who had the same sampling passion as myself. In her case, she grabbed a handful of chocolate from every sample bin with great stealth, and offloaded them into her grande Starbucks coffee cup. Once her cup was full, she left.  David watched the whole thing from a nearby couch and has since formed a plan on how to feed our family should he ever lose his job.

No visit to Fremont is complete without a stop under the bridge to say hi to the troll.  Hi troll.

(Side note: If you want to see a really crazy troll movie, check out Troll Hunter on Netflix)



1 comment:

  1. I want to know which of you wrote this grand epistle! The description of David's Cosby impression is a thing of beauty to this old English major! I love chocolate myself and this is definitely on the list for our next visit to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete